Sunday, May 2, 2010

Banana Leaf Rice & Dining Etiquette


I was told that my photos ain't that good. This is the best I can do with my phone & photography skills, but this post is not about my photography skills. 

Being a Malaysian & an Indian, I must have my monthly(or more) dosage of Banana Leaf Rice. The two important factors in choosing the venue are : cleanliness & choice of freshly prepared dishes (ideally prepared ala minute).

Here, I was, at my favorite Sunday Banana Leaf Rice restaurant. As I was early, I had to wait for my sister, giving me a lot of time to observe the rest of the patron. As usual, there were more non Indian patron compared to Indian patron, perhaps it is because of the neighbourhood. I am not complaining, but merely an observation. At a table, a Chinese man was teaching this young son on how to fold the banana leaf after he finishes his meal. The right way is to fold the leaf towards yourself, to indicate that you like (appreciate) the meal. I was also thought that you fold the leaf away from you when you are eating at a funeral. 

The next debate is "to eat with fingers or fork & spoon". I used to live with an Australian that constantly say that a civilized person should eat with fork & spoon, and this same person walks around the house in his underpants. I am pretty sure man started wearing pants way before he started using fork & spoon to eat, & I rest my case. When you are in an Indian restaurant or house, you are not required to eat with your fingers, but I believe one is required to respect the Indian tradition of eating with fingers. It's not about being civilized, but it's about tradition & dining etiquette.

Do you have any dining etiquette to share ?

No comments:

Post a Comment